I started doing this move this summer and it’s awesome. Not only does it tone your arms (both through the push up AND with the extra weighted move), but it also tones your core as it works to keep you stabilized.
1) First, you need some weights that have a square edge so you aren’t rolling all over the place. I picked these up at Target for a few bucks, but most gyms have them too. I use 5 or 6 lb weights for this move, but feel free to adjust that!
2) Get into a plank position with your hands holding/on top of your weights. (Now do you see why you need square weights?? ) Your feet should be about shoulder distance apart. Be sure to keep your abs tight and lifted to support your lower back.
3) Next, lower yourself into a pushup – try to get your body perfectly parallel to the floor in a straight line. Make sure your hips don’t droop down and that your abs are still tight. This is really hard to hold for a picture!!
4) Raise yourself back up into a plank, and then lift one of your arms straight up. Your hand should come just about to your waist, and your elbow should stay perpendicular to the floor and tight in to your body. Hold for a few seconds, and then lower your arm back down.
5) After stabilizing yourself in plank pose again, do another push up, then lift the other arm. Continue repeating, alternating arms in between push ups, until your are tired!
Congratulatory thumbs up, obviously:
Yay! What do you think?? Can you do it?